Why Another Blog?

Over the years I have had various experiences in working with people. Some humorous and some not so humorous. If you know me personally, you know I enjoy a good, clean joke. In fact, some will say that it 'sounds like a Raymond joke' when they hear a particular kind.
True humor to me, is that which happens unplanned and unrehearsed. I believe that has contributed to my sanity over the 56+ years of preaching and working with the brethren. To try and have a positive attitude in life, to retain the pleasant and good memories of years past helps one physically, emotionally, and mentally. We read in Proverbs 15:13, "A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken". Again in 17:22, "A merry heart does good, like medicine. But a broken spirit dries the bones".
I do "love life" (1 Peter 3:10). God is truly my "refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 45:1). I enjoy an "abundant life" because of Jesus Christ, who gave His life for me (John 10:10). I hope you find the following remembrances enjoyable and entertaining.

22 September 2013

The 'Upside Down' Songbook

My first full-time preaching job after graduating from Alabama Christian College in 1958 was with the small church in Lineville, Alabama. I began a training class for the young boys prior to the evening worship assembly. I would have them recite a memory verse, make a short speech and lead a song. I would stand behind the young lads and help them get started with their songs and even assisted them in keeping 'time' with their song. One young lad, I think it was either John or Tim Rice, was leading the song when I happened to look down and saw that he had the songbook upside down. So I simply reached over him and turned the book right side up. It was only then that I realized that it did not matter with him how he held the book, he was so young that he could not read the words. He was singing the song from memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.